Saturday, March 5, 2011

what i've learned

TODAY is my son's six month birthday. i can't believe it's been six months already. last night, while nursing him, i tried to recall the past six months and realized i have learned so much. this is what i've learned, in no particular order...
I'VE learned my body needs very little sleep. i've learned it's impossible to keep a clean house. i've learned it's impossible to keep up with the overflowing laundry basket. i've learned people are generous when it comes to baby gifts. i've learned my selfish days are over. i've learned to be okay with the fact my son is a spitting image of his father. i've learned how to be patient. i've learned i can't let my baby cry. i've learned i cry when he cries. i've learned nursing my baby is now one of my favorite times of the day when it used to be dreaded. i've learned nursing him for three months has now turned into six months. i've learned my baby loves music. i've learned what songs cheer him up and what songs put him to sleep. i've learned i'm not embarrassed to sing him a lullaby. i've learned my son is not a sleeper. i've learned how to get so much done in thirty minutes. i've learned when my baby's bottom lip puckers out he's scared and is going to cry. i've learned when he starts spitting out his food it means he is done eating. i've learned our dog is going to be my baby's best friend as long as our dog lives. i've learned our dog is going to be in trouble when my baby starts crawling. i've learned his grandparents have disappointed me. i've learned i miss my mom more than ever. i've learned i was right when i said over six years ago that my now husband would be a great father. i've learned to fall in love with my husband all over again now that he's a dad. i've learned time will never again move slowly. i've learned i am constantly wishing time would stand still every time i hold my son. i learned the instant he was born there is such a thing as love at first sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment